The aspiration to advance one’s career in a thriving tech hub is a common ambition among software developers.
Canada, with its expansive tech industry and amicable immigration policies, emerges as an ideal destination for this endeavor, especially for individuals from India.
This blog serves as a gateway to comprehending the broader spectrum of opportunities and the transitional pathway for those eyeing software developer jobs in Canada. With a well-structured guide encompassing key areas of interest, this blog aims to simplify the complex process, providing a clear perspective on what to anticipate.
By delving into this guide, you position yourself a step closer to making an informed decision on advancing your career in a globally competitive environment.
Why Indian Software Developers Choose Canada?
Canada’s tech-centric cities are the new frontier for Indian software developers eyeing lucrative software developer jobs in Canada. Here’s a glimpse into the top cities fostering growth and innovation in the tech domain.
- Toronto: Home to a diverse tech community and a wide array of job opportunities.
- Vancouver: Known for its unique tech ecosystem and a growing demand for skilled professionals
- Montreal: A hub for artificial intelligence and gaming industries, offering a multitude of job prospects.
- Ottawa: With a burgeoning tech scene, it’s home to numerous established tech firms.
- Calgary: Emerging as a tech hub with a growing number of software developer jobs in Canada.
These cities not only provide a vibrant tech job market but also promise a higher quality of life, making them the go-to destinations for aspiring tech professionals from India.
Canada’s Top 5 Tech Companies for Software Developers
Canada is a global leader in the tech industry, and these companies offer a wide range of software developer jobs in Canada, from entry-level to senior positions, and across a variety of technologies and industries.
Here are the top 5 tech companies that hire for software dev jobs in Canada, and the cities where they are headquartered:
|Constellation Software Inc.||Ottawa, Ontario|
|CGI Inc.||Montreal, Quebec|
|OpenText Corporation||Waterloo, Ontario|
|Descartes Systems Group Inc.||Waterloo, Ontario|
These companies offer a variety of benefits to their employees, including competitive salaries, comprehensive benefits packages, and opportunities for professional development and growth.
Software Developers Salary In Canada Vs India
|Experience Level||Skills||Software Developer Salary in Canada|
|Mid-level||3-5 years of experience, strong programming skills in one or more languages, experience with software development tools and methodologies||C$71,000 – C$91,000|
|Senior||5+ years of experience, expertise in one or more programming languages and software development tools, experience with leading and mentoring other developers||C$91,000 – C$111,000|
|Lead||7+ years of experience, deep understanding of software development principles and practices, experience managing and leading teams of developers||C$111,000 – C$131,000|
Note: The salaries listed above are averages and may vary depending on the specific company, industry, and location.
If you are interested in software developer jobs in Canada, there are many resources available to help you get started. There are a number of online job boards that list openings for software developers in Canada. You can also contact software development companies directly to inquire about job openings.
Tips for acing a software developer job in Canada
Be prepared to answer common interview questions about software development. Some common questions include:
- What are your programming language skills?
- What experience do you have with software development tools and methodologies?
- Can you describe a time when you had to solve a difficult software development problem?
- What are your career goals?
Ways To Find Software Developer Jobs In Canada
In the pursuit of finding software developer jobs in Canada, understanding the diverse avenues for job search is crucial. This section explains 04 effective ways to navigate the Canadian job market, including leveraging online job portals, attending tech job fairs, and engaging with recruitment agencies.
Here are four ways to help job seekers to find software developer jobs in Canada:
Online Job Portals:
- Job Bank: The Canadian government job bank is a government-operated platform providing job listings across various industries and regions in Canada. It aids job seekers in finding work and employers in locating suitable candidates, while also offering resources like labor market information and career planning tools for informed decision-making. This would give you a way to find software developer jobs in Canada.
- Hire Tech Talent: Hire Tech Talent is a reverse recruitment platform that focuses on job seekers and helping them find the best match. All you need to do is create a profile on this platform and let companies fetch your profile. To know more about Hire Tech Talent keep reading!
- LinkedIn: A prominent global platform where job seekers can create professional profiles, network with industry professionals, apply for jobs, and gain insights into companies and industries. It offers a platform for virtual networking, job searching, and professional development.
- Glassdoor, Indeed, and GrabJobs: These online platforms provide job listings and company insights, aiding job seekers in finding suitable employment opportunities and understanding potential work environments.
Networking & Career Events/Fairs Tech Job Fairs: Career events are one of the popular mediums to search for jobs in Canada. Job fair organizing companies such as Tech Jobs Fair is one of the largest job fairs that connect job seekers with companies in the tech industry. Attending such job fairs in Canada fairs can open doors to direct interviews and networking with potential employers.
Recruitment Agencies: Agencies have specific listings to help you find software programmer jobs in Canada. They can assist in matching your profile with the right job openings.
Engaging in a combination of the above strategies can significantly enhance the chances of securing software developer jobs in Canada.
If you are looking to expand your job search to Germany as well? Hire Tech Talent is here to assist. Delve into our comprehensive blog, How to get an IT job in Germany from India 2023 – A Complete Guide, to navigate your journey from the initial steps to landing the desired position.
It’s important to explore the chances of getting software developer jobs in Canada, especially with the complex legal process for Indians moving there for work.
Let’s talk about that first!
How To Get a Work Permit In Canada From India
This section delves into the process of obtaining a work permit, which is a requisite for non-Canadian residents seeking employment in the country.
- Eligibility Criteria: It’s essential to check your eligibility for a work permit. Various factors including your nationality, age, and the nature of the job offer in Canada can affect your eligibility.
- Online Application: Apply online for a work permit on the official website of the Government of Canada. During the application, you’ll need to answer several questions to determine the type of permit you require.
- Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP): If you’ve recently graduated from a designated learning institution in Canada, you might be eligible for a PGWP, which allows you to work in Canada.
- Intra-Company Transfers: If you are employed by a multinational company with a presence in Canada, you might be eligible for a work permit through an intra-company transfer.
Types of Visa to get a job in Canada from India
There are several different types of visas that you may be eligible for, depending on your individual circumstances. Some of the most common types of visas for software developers include:
Express Entry System:
- Points-Based Immigration
- Ideal for skilled professionals with substantial work experience, education, and language proficiency.
Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP):
- Employer-Sponsored Immigration
- Suitable for individuals with a job offer from a Canadian employer, addressing specific labor market needs. This could also be a pathway for those looking for software developer jobs in Canada with visa sponsorship.
International Mobility Program (IMP):
- Employer-Sponsored Immigration (LMIA Exempt)
- For individuals hired by employers under special agreements or circumstances, not requiring a Labour Market Impact Assessment.
Global Talent Stream (GTS):
- Expedited Immigration for High-Skilled Workers
- Tailored for high-skilled tech professionals to fill in-demand positions quickly.
Provincial Nominee Program (PNP):
- Provincial Immigration
- Ideal for individuals with job offers in specific provinces, addressing regional labor market needs.
- Corporate Transfer Immigration
- Suitable for employees of multinational companies transferring to a Canadian branch or office.
Other Types Of Visas That May Be Relevant To Software Developers
International Experience Canada (IEC):
- The IEC is a program for young people from select countries who want to work and travel in Canada. There are two categories of IEC visas available: the Working Holiday Visa (WHV) and the Young Professionals Visa (YPV).
- If you are interested in studying and working in Canada, you can apply for a study permit. Once you have completed your studies, you may be eligible to apply for a work permit or a PR Card.
Eligibility Criteria For Work Permit In Canada
Temporary Work Permit
- A temporary work permit (TWP) is a visa that allows you to work in Canada for a specific period of time, usually up to 04 years. TFWs are typically issued to skilled workers who have a job offer from a Canadian employer.
To be eligible for a TWP, You Must
- Be a citizen of a country that is eligible for the TWP program. India is an eligible country.
- Have a job offer from a Canadian employer who is willing to sponsor you for a TWP.
- Meet the minimum requirements for the job, such as education and experience.
- Pass a medical exam and a criminal background check.
Permanent Resident Visa
- A permanent resident visa (PRV) allows you to live and work in Canada permanently. PRVs are issued to skilled workers, entrepreneurs, investors, and family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
- The most common way to apply for a PRV is through the Express Entry system. Express Entry is a points-based immigration system that selects candidates based on their skills, work experience, education, and language proficiency.
To be eligible for Express Entry, you must:
- Be a citizen of a country that is eligible for the Express Entry program. India is an eligible country.
- Meet the minimum requirements for one of the Express Entry program categories, such as the Federal Skilled Worker Program or Canadian Experience Class.
- Create an Express Entry profile and submit it to the Canadian government.
Note: Once you have submitted your Express Entry profile, you will be given a Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score. The CRS score is based on your skills, work experience, education, and language proficiency. Candidates with the highest CRS scores are invited to apply for a PRV.
If you are able to secure a job offer from a Canadian employer, they will be able to sponsor you for a TWP. Once you have a TWP, you can start working in Canada and apply for a PRV.
Software developer jobs in Canada are in high demand, and skilled workers are eligible for a variety of visas that allow them to work in Canada. Encourage yourself to explore your options and start the process of applying for a visa today.
Applying for a visa to work in Canada can be a complex process, but it is worth it to have the opportunity to live and work in this beautiful country.
Canada Work Visa Guide: Documentation, Application Process, and Fees for Indians
Once you have chosen the type of visa you want to apply for, you will need to gather the required documentation and complete the application process.
Visa Application Fees
|Visa Type||Visa Application Fee (CAD)|
|Express Entry System||85|
|Temporary Foreign Worker Program||150|
|International Mobility Program||230|
|Global Talent Stream||1,000|
|Provincial Nominee Program||Varies by province|
|International Experience Canada (WHV)||158|
|International Experience Canada (YPV)||245|
Documentation and Application Process for Indians for Canadian Visa
|Visa Type||Documentation||Application Process|
|Express Entry System||Valid passport, IELTS or TEF test results, educational transcripts, work experience letters, proof of funds, police clearance certificate, medical exam results||Create an Express Entry profile and submit your application online.|
|Temporary Foreign Worker Program||Valid passport, job offer letter from a Canadian employer, Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), proof of funds, medical exam results||Your employer will apply for a LMIA on your behalf. Once the LMIA is approved, you will be able to apply for a work permit online.|
|International Mobility Program||Valid passport, letter of invitation from a Canadian organization, proof of funds, medical exam results||Depending on the type of International Mobility Program visa you are applying for, you may need to submit additional documentation. You can find more information on the Canadian government website.|
|Global Talent Stream||Valid passport, job offer letter from a Canadian employer, proof of funds, medical exam results||Your employer will apply for a Global Talent Stream work permit on your behalf.|
|Provincial Nominee Program||Valid passport, proof of funds, medical exam results||The documentation and application process for the Provincial Nominee Program varies by province. You can find more information on the website of the province you are interested in moving to.|
|Intra-Company Transferee||Valid passport, job offer letter from a Canadian employer, proof of funds, medical exam results||Your employer will apply for an Intra-Company Transferee work permit on your behalf.|
|International Experience Canada (WHV)||Valid passport, proof of funds, medical exam results||You can apply for a Working Holiday Visa online.|
|International Experience Canada (YPV)||Valid passport, proof of funds, medical exam results, job offer letter from a Canadian employer (optional)||You can apply for a Young Professionals Visa online.|
|Study Permit||Valid passport, letter of acceptance from a Canadian educational institution, proof of funds, medical exam results||You can apply for a study permit online.|
Hire Tech Talent- A Platform To Get Software Developer Jobs in Canada
Hire Tech Talent (HTT) is a unique job-hunting platform that reverses the traditional hiring process. Instead of candidates searching and applying for jobs, HTT allows companies to find and approach potential employees based on their skills and qualifications.
The platform primarily focuses on showcasing the talents and expertise of individuals, allowing companies to offer jobs directly to the candidates. This approach simplifies and optimizes the recruitment process, especially for those seeking jobs in the tech industry in Canada and beyond.
It simplifies your journey in finding jobs in Canada by bridging the gap between language and opportunity, allowing you to focus on what truly matters-your skills and expertise. For further insights, check out the blog, Empowering Tech Talent: Take Control of Your Career Journey.
Explore the Uniqueness of Hire Tech Talent
- Profile-Centric Approach: Prioritizes your skills and qualifications, optimizing reverse recruitment.
- User-Friendly Interface: Catering to everyone, from budding job seekers to experienced tech-savvy professionals.
- Tailored Matches: With HTT, you’re not thrown into a vast ocean. You’re placed in a selective pool where companies offer IT jobs in Canada and other countries as well.
- Direct Outreach: Say goodbye to the fatigue of sending out countless applications. If a company likes what they see, they’ll approach you.
Dive into HTT, take the reins of your career, and navigate through a recruitment platform designed with a modern tech-centric lens, uniquely tailored to help you get software developer jobs in Canada.
If you are exploring software job opportunities, the UK is also one of the top destinations. To help you figure this pathway our blog can be a valuable resource. Check out How to Get a Software Job in London from India – A Complete Guide for helpful insights and guidance.
Recent Updates on Canadian Immigration Policies
|August 4, 2023||The Canadian government announced that it will be increasing the number of immigrants admitted to Canada each year. The target for 2023 is 465,000 immigrants, which is the highest number in Canadian history.|
|July 18, 2023||The Canadian government announced that it is creating a new pathway to permanent residency for software developers. This new pathway will allow software developers to apply for permanent residency without a job offer.|
|June 13, 2023||The Canadian government announced that it is expanding the Global Talent Stream to include more tech occupations. This means that it will be easier for tech companies to hire foreign workers.|
Tax Implications of Working in Canada
As a software developer working in Canada, you will be subject to Canadian income tax.
- The Canadian income tax system is progressive, which means that you will pay a higher percentage of your income in taxes if you earn more money. The top marginal income tax rate in Canada is 50%.
- You will also be subject to other taxes, such as the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) and the Employment Insurance (EI) premium.
- The CPP is a social security program that provides retirement benefits to Canadians.
- The EI premium is an insurance program that provides financial assistance to Canadians who are unemployed or on sick leave.
Healthcare System in Canada for New Immigrants
New immigrants to Canada are eligible for universal healthcare coverage through the Canadian Medicare system. Medicare provides basic healthcare services to all Canadians, regardless of their income or employment status.
To be eligible for Medicare, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be a permanent resident or a protected person in Canada.
- You must have lived in Canada for a certain period of time, which varies depending on the province or territory you live in.
If you are eligible for Medicare, you will be able to access a variety of healthcare services, including:
- Doctor visits
- Hospital care
- Prescription drugs
- Preventive care
Note: There are some exceptions to Medicare coverage, such as dental care and vision care. You may need to purchase private insurance to cover these services. If you have any questions about Canadian immigration policies, the healthcare system, or tax implications, you should contact a Canadian immigration lawyer or accountant.
Cost of Living in Canada vs. India in 2023
Having a clear understanding of the cost of living is crucial for anyone considering relocating for software developer jobs in Canada. The table below provides a simplified comparison of the cost of living between Canada and India in 2023:
|Other expenses (entertainment, clothing, etc.)||C$300-400||INR 5,000-10,000|
Note: This is a rough estimate and the actual cost of living will vary depending on your lifestyle and location.
From the data, it’s clear that living in Canada is significantly more expensive than living in India. The cost of a meal in an inexpensive restaurant in Canada is approximately 570.1% higher than in India.
Similarly, a three-course meal for two people in a mid-range restaurant is about 448.2% more expensive in Canada compared to India. The average monthly cost of living in Canada is also 332% higher than in India.
Embarking on the journey towards securing software developer jobs in Canada is a significant step, and being well-prepared is crucial. This blog serves as a comprehensive tool to guide you through this endeavor, ensuring a smoother transition.
Your aspiration to excel in the Canadian tech realm is now more attainable.
So are you ready to propel your career forward? Create a profile on Hire Tech Talent and let’s transform your aspiration for a tech job in Canada into reality.